What is the point of 'pijul patch' without --bin?

I’m not sure what the point of pijul patch without --bin is. The caveat that it is not fit for applying seems to indicate that --bin should at least be the default, if not the only way to use this command.

Sure, it’s not great at the moment, but in the future, I’d like this to evolve into a human-readable version of pijul patch --bin that can be sent and reviewed over email.

I think it’s safer to disable it (say, behind a feature flag) until it’s ready to be consumed by apply. Bad PR await us otherwise.

I can only say I use pijul patch quite often when I cannot log to the nest (either because I don’t have Internet at the moment or because the nest is slow when I want to use it, for instance) and I still find it convenient, if not perfect. Maybe we could rename it, for instance pijul show?

What do you use it for? For viewing patches? Maybe it should be named pijul patch --pretty-print

The more I think about it, the more I believe the most suitable solution is to move the patch pretty printing and all the flags I added to pijul patch recently to a new pijul show command. It could be a good opportunity to turn pijul show-dependencies into pijul show <hash> --dependencies or something similar?

That’s probably a good idea.