Should Pijul output be coloured on macOS?

I’m using iTerm2 and ls, prompt, git output, etc are all coloured, but the Pijul output is not. Should it be?

I never saw color on Ubuntu, unless I used the pjcolor script. (I’m not sure if it still works.)

I think colors are useful, but have so many accessibility problems. Perhaps a little bit of bold would be good though.

Colours are definable in other contexts. They’re also just as useful for accessibility. Certainly defaults need to consider accessibility.

Thanks for pointing out pjcolor I’ll have a look at that.

UPDATE: I noticed the output of pijul help is coloured… which is great. :slight_smile:

I was looking for something else, and came across this thread on Zulip:
colors for Pijul?
where Pierre says there is a bug because the code for colors is in there.

1 Like

Nice. Thanks for that. I appreciate it. :slight_smile:

There are actually two discussion in the repo related to this.

https://nest.pijul.com/pijul/pijul/discussions/628
https://nest.pijul.com/pijul/pijul/discussions/679

I got motivated by your post here and did have a look and added a fix to the 679 discussion.

However I have no clue if and when it will get a review and maybe included into main.

2 Likes

Hello, pjcolor author here.

Just short note. I have never tested pjcolor on macOS.
But, as far as I know, macOS is Darwin OS. Darwin is a fork of BSD and its userland. That means it’s possible you’ll have to install GNU AWK, as you may have the same problem as with other BSD systems. Unfortunately Unix tools are not always 100% compatible with each other, pjcolor is adapted to the GNU version of AWK.
If there was a problem, try following the instructions in README.md in the “Troubleshooting” section. If possible, also let me know if pjcolor works without problems on macOS. If not, I will put additional information in the readme.
Not everyone knows that OSX has its roots in BSD system and the solution to the problem will be identical.

Cheers.

2 Likes