Windows Guide needed

has anyone got a recent build running on windows 10? A guide with download links to all external dependencies would be really helpful.
I would love to get started with pijul, but need to use windows on my dev machine.

2 Likes

I would start with installing the latest version of Pijul from crates.io with cargo.

Then, you should be able to clone the repository using pijul itself and go on from there.

Yesterday I tried to build Pijul from source on Windows 10 using $ cargo install pijul --version "~1.0.0-beta" and got the following error:

It looks like you're compiling for MSVC but we couldn't detect an OpenSSL installation. If there isn't one installed then you can try the rust-openssl README for more information about how to download precompiled binaries of OpenSSL:

https://github.com/sfackler/rust-openssl#windows

However, the rust-openssl README makes no mention of Windows. After some digging around, I downloaded Win64 OpenSSL v3.0.2 from Binaries - OpenSSLWiki and added the OPENSSL_DIR system environment variable, pointing to C:\Program Files\OpenSSL-Win64

Everything appeared to compile successfully, but then I got the following error:

error: linking with `link.exe` failed: exit code: 1181
  |
  = note: "C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\2019\\BuildTools\\VC\\Tools\\MSVC\\14.28.29333\\bin\\HostX64\\x64\\link.exe" ... "/NATVIS:C:\\Users\\jonat\\.rustup\\toolchains\\stable-x86_64-pc-windows-msvc\\lib\\rustlib\\etc\\libstd.natvis"
  = note: LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file 'zstd.lib'

error: failed to compile `pijul v1.0.0-beta`, intermediate artifacts can be found at `C:\Users\jonat\AppData\Local\Temp\cargo-installQfz3uA`

Caused by:
  could not compile `pijul` due to previous error

Can anyone advise what to do next?

Maybe download the binaries: Release 1.0.0-beta · boringcactus/pijul-windows-builds · GitHub

They don’t have the latest version of everything, but they do work.

Edit: that GitHub repository has a script to compile Pijul on Windows.

If I download them from GitHub and they build successfully, will I then be able to download subsequent updates from Pijul?

Yes. To clarify (because I don’t know what you mean by “them”), that repository is just a build script to install dependencies.

If you use that, and then compile Pijul, you will be able to use the compiled Pijul.

Apologies, “them” as in the binaries.

Since a Windows Guide is needed, would it be worth my while deleting all I have done to date, and start again using the binaries, keeping a note of the actions I take to get a working copy of Pijul?

So the README on GitHub just gives you a link to “download the latest release”. Following that link takes you to a page that offers a pijul executable, a Zip archive, and a GNU Zip archive of a tar file. No instructions at all. Presumably, only one of the archives is needed, but do I also need the executable? Is it a full Pijul build, or just something that uses the YAML files in the archive? Now I can see why a Windows Guide is needed!

Since I got as far as a link error after downloading OpenSSL, wouldn’t it be easier to fix the bug for Windows in the standard build process rather than relying on a GitHub-hosted script? It would be good to be able to bootstrap Pijul for Windows without recourse to alternative version control software.