I constantly get 520 error while trying to use nest

So basically I can login and visit nest.pijul.com but when I try to access any part of public repository it doesn’t work. I created empty repo in nest and I’m able to access it. What’s strange is that when I use VPN to access nest from another country, issue disappears. I replicated it from multiple devices with multiple OS and multiple network providers.

1 Like

Bump.

Page includes this info:

There is an issue between Cloudflare’s cache and your origin web server. Cloudflare monitors for these errors and automatically investigates the cause. To help support the investigation, you can pull the corresponding error log from your web server and submit it our support team. Please include the Ray ID (which is at the bottom of this error page). Additional troubleshooting resources.

I’m curious why it has Epoch+1 as its expiration date, but that’s probably not a core of the problem. As the internet suggests problem could be on ISP side only, or a cookie is too long. I wouldn’t blame my ISP (at least this time), but cookie seems fine too, only cookie was is my token, it isn’t big this much to cause problems, so. Probably good to check this monitor thingy, as the note suggests. Ray ID of failing one is: 7d16b17bcf372de9

Do you experience the same thing with nest.pijul.org (the new beta thing)?

Not sure to who question is addressed, but indeed it fixes the ‘520 error’, now my browser says it cannot establish a secure connection with the webpage, whatever that may mean. If there’s something additional I can provide for you, to help find a solution for this unpleasant problem, please elaborate.

Alright, Cloudflare Workers might be less than ready it seems. I’ve started thinking of alternatives. What happens if you do curl -v https://dot.pijul.org?

In case you want to compare, here’s what I get (I haven’t tried to use the old or new Nest lately).

$ curl -v https://dot.pijul.org
* Rebuilt URL to: https://dot.pijul.org/
*   Trying 54.246.45.242...
* TCP_NODELAY set
* Connected to dot.pijul.org (54.246.45.242) port 443 (#0)
* ALPN, offering http/1.1
* Cipher selection: ALL:!EXPORT:!EXPORT40:!EXPORT56:!aNULL:!LOW:!RC4:@STRENGTH
* successfully set certificate verify locations:
*   CAfile: /opt/lampp/share/curl/curl-ca-bundle.crt
  CApath: none
* TLSv1.3 (OUT), TLS handshake, Client hello (1):
* TLSv1.3 (IN), TLS handshake, Server hello (2):
* TLSv1.3 (IN), TLS Unknown, Certificate Status (22):
* TLSv1.3 (IN), TLS handshake, Unknown (8):
* TLSv1.3 (IN), TLS handshake, Certificate (11):
* TLSv1.3 (IN), TLS handshake, CERT verify (15):
* TLSv1.3 (IN), TLS handshake, Finished (20):
* TLSv1.3 (OUT), TLS change cipher, Client hello (1):
* TLSv1.3 (OUT), TLS Unknown, Certificate Status (22):
* TLSv1.3 (OUT), TLS handshake, Finished (20):
* SSL connection using TLSv1.3 / TLS_CHACHA20_POLY1305_SHA256
* ALPN, server accepted to use http/1.1
* Server certificate:
*  subject: CN=dot.pijul.org
*  start date: Jun  5 14:49:26 2023 GMT
*  expire date: Sep  3 14:49:25 2023 GMT
*  subjectAltName: host "dot.pijul.org" matched cert's "dot.pijul.org"
*  issuer: C=US; O=Let's Encrypt; CN=R3
*  SSL certificate verify ok.
* TLSv1.3 (OUT), TLS Unknown, Unknown (23):
> GET / HTTP/1.1
> Host: dot.pijul.org
> User-Agent: curl/7.53.1
> Accept: */*
> 
* TLSv1.3 (IN), TLS handshake, Newsession Ticket (4):
* TLSv1.3 (IN), TLS handshake, Newsession Ticket (4):
* TLSv1.3 (IN), TLS Unknown, Unknown (23):
< HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
< content-length: 0
< date: Wed, 14 Jun 2023 12:51:44 GMT
< 
* Connection #0 to host dot.pijul.org left intact
$

Sorry for late reply, comparing to @joyously’s output they provided, mine is similiar, I’m too getting 404. It did worked a week ago and I got 200 code, with no errors then. Problem is exactly with The Nest, going on my account and logging in is fine, but when I try to go to any repository it throws ‘Connection is insecure’ (browser, not website). I’m using Firefox, it explicitly states so:

Using a VPN fixes it by magic, maybe something weird going under the hood and ISP having troubles resolving something? Still does not understand why not all pages of Nest are affected. I does not have any problems with other websites, and not using proxy (if that matters).

Tried connecting with links browser, received ‘Cannot read from socket’ on repository page, but fine on homepage. Seems it just sends 0 bytes in response, causing ‘Unable to make a secure connection.’ in Firefox.

I can provide more info, just say what’s needed, I have no idea why some pages are acting like this, while others are fine.

Ok, saying the VPN fixes it makes me suspect some censorship from Cloudflare. This is really bad, but the good news is, I’m fixing it!

1 Like

New info:
Empty repos are loading fine, should I only upload something on the repo, the page after reload throws ‘Cannot establish a secure connection.’ error. Really weird, but that’s what I noticed, and again with VPN there is no such thing.

Google Chrome returns net::ERR_HTTP2_PROTOCOL_ERROR. There is a thread on StackOverflow about it asked 3¾ years ago. Still unclear how traffic redirection fixes that.