Pijul

Using Pijul for a game editor

Here’s a recent conversation from the Bevy discord:

Would love to hear what any Pijul developers might have to say about this.

1 Like

Hi! Thanks for the pointer. I wouldn’t mind talking to these folks, because the new Pijul was designed with them in mind!

I wrote a blog post about this very topic a while ago, you can point them to this if you want: Pijul

(or invite them here).

1 Like

By the way, I also totally agree that “the only way to know for sure is to see it in practice”.

In addition to the main incumbent PlasticSCM, another interesting solution in this space is Snowtrack:

Thanks! I hate to sound negative about a project, I think it’s great that people realise that version control is important and has applications beyond source code. However, their readme doesn’t mention what new insight that project is based on. Also, the descriptions of their issues with Git seem to be based on a misunderstanding of LFS (the mention “without LFS” is written on the first bullet point, but really applies to all others, except the issue with very large files on some setups on Windows).

This gives me the idea that SnowFS looks a bit like a reimplementation of Git LFS in TypeScript, sort of an “LFS done right” (and they’re right actually, the LFS tool itself doesn’t need to be fast, the main bottleneck is the network anyway), but then they also mention the idea of rewriting it in C, which would really be like “LFS done… like LFS”.

1 Like

I think the insight that informs and drives their design is their experience as graphics designers in need of a tool that didn’t exist for them. Thus, I expect their main innovation will be in their API design, and the GUI they build on top of it.

They’re self-described as experimental. What do you think about the prospect of them building their product as an extension of Pijul?

I’ve invited them to this topic and the #editor channel on Bevy so they can have the opportunity to speak for themselves :grin:

Yes, I’m obviously open to collaboration. After I wrote that comment, I also saw their benchmarks, they seem much faster than Git LFS, I’m curious about where that comes from, and I’d like to see that compared to just rsync (which is another fast diff).

Sure, LFS was designed at Microsoft, but I guess the engineers who developed it were talking to the maintainers of Git (and we know tthe maintainers of GIt are really good).

Also, Pijul doesn’t yet know how to diff binary files.